Monday, July 11, 2011

Well I guess I know what Foot and Mouth is now...

Well...

There was a reason for all the crabbiness.

Harrison and I were hanging out all Friday afternoon, he was a bit fussy again, I attributed it to those damn teeth.

We ran an errand to Walmart, he was his chipper self, flirting with all the Walmart Folk... sigh...
   Got home, and he was kind of weird, not really himself.

Super tired, and actually just kind of laid his head on the couch and fell asleep.  Super unusual for my little guy.

I scooped him up and cuddled with him on the couch.  
Lucky for me I had just bought a 'fancy new' thermometer that you hold to the babies temple.
    It was a random purchase for me at Walmart.   Perhaps 'Motherly Instinct"?   Ha..

Decided to try it out because heck, my kid was pretty freaking hot, and was sweating all over me.

Put it on his forehead...

Waited for the little beeps...

....
....
....

104.2    What the F***

Panic ensues, try it one more time...

Waiting for the beeps....

.....
.....
.....

105.1  Holy hell!

Never have I seen a temperature that high on him since his birth.

So I proceed to panic of course, and being by myself waiting for my husband to come home I of course, call my own mommy.

In a panicked state, crying.

Now, I've read enough books to know what I'm supposed to do when a temp gets this high, but all the sudden my son was becoming lethargic, head on my shoulder, limp arms and legs.

In between my call to my mother, and my kids doctor my sweet baby boy lifts his sweaty head up from my shoulder, looks me in the eyes, and gives me a kiss.

My sweet baby...

So my mother decided she was booking it over, and I start stripping the little man down and start a cool bath.
We climb in and he is NOT happy.   Crying, upset, totally pissed off at me.

So... Start trying to push kids Advil down his throat as the doctors office suggested.   That was a nightmare, from the kiddo who usually takes medicine willingly, I literally had to hold him down, pry his mouth open, and shove that stupid little dropper in his mouth.

Mother shows up as I have him in front of the A.C. with me, his poor little legs starting to get goosebumps, she swoops him up in a big hug.  My poor little boy looks so young again.  Cuddle him for about an hour, recap what the hell happened in an hours time.  He was completely normal, minus the teething crabbiness, all day long.

Sure enough, my little guy starts becoming more aware, and is ready to go once that medicine kicks in.

My mommy panic moment is finally subsiding, and I'm starting to chill.

Great, .... I'm the 25 year old woman who still calls her mommy crying.
     Ughhh.




All in all I took the H-man to the doctors on Saturday because Friday night was hell here.  Turns out he has Foot and Mouth, with little ulcers on the back of his throat.  No wonder the kid wouldn't eat or drink, the doctor specifically showed me the little things, and I cringed thinking I'd be quite the baby too if they were in the back of my throat.

Foot and mouth is basically caused from the fact that like typical one year olds do, they put gross objects in their mouths,   ALL.....   OF .... THE..... TIME....

So rounds of Advil, and Tylenol the past couple days and finally this morning Harrison has woken up himself, and is currently running like a crazy man around the house banging, playing, and torturing the cats.

That's my little boy.

No comments: